Photo by Chloe Gregory, graphics courtesy of Canva.com

My Last Stop

Goodbye to Brunswick High

May 17, 2022

High School has been simultaneously the shortest and longest experience of my life.

It changed so much about who I am and how I see the world, and yet, it was only four years of my life. This school is full of memory. I’ve laughed so hard I wheezed and doubled over, and I’ve cried so hard I thought I’d suffocate. I’ve written papers, done projects, and stayed up way too late hyped up on caffeine to finish my assignments after I got home from musical rehearsals. I’ve made so many lifelong friends, but I’ve also lost some people I thought I’d have forever along the way. I’ve spent four years in Brunswick High School—I’ve grown up here. I made honor roll, participated in extracurricular activities, performed community service, and was accepted into every college I applied to with aid. I’ve worked hard every day, like so many of my classmates. 

And as we move on to brighter things, I can gladly say that I’m so proud of my grade for surviving high school, COVID, family deaths, the death of a classmate, every hard test, every college application, every late night cram for final exams, and every paper we had to write. For the future classes—I promise you will get through this experience.

Just get up every morning and try. Make friends, get into outside activities, support each other,  do your work, and put effort in.  Your name is on every piece of paper you turn in, so make that mean something. I promise you, like my mother promised me, it will pay off sooner than you think. Don’t forget to get to know your teachers, they’re really cool people who are here to help you. Don’t forget to hug your parental figures and tell them you love them and thank them for all they do. You can get through this, and you will move on. High School is only four years, but it’s also one of the most important times in your life, where you lay the foundation for your future. Make it count. And never forget you’re part of the Railroader Family. 

Well, this is my last stop before I graduate. This has been a wild ride, and I’ve had a blast.

Thank you to my teachers, for always being there to help me when I’m confused, and for always answering my emails—no matter how annoying I get. Thank you to my family—who has always encouraged me to do well in school. I value education much more because you were there. Thank you to my friends—for some really amazing memories. And thank you to anyone who ever took the time to look at my drawings—you helped me to keep going and to never give up.

I will be attending St. Mary’s College of Maryland for Art and Education. I plan to study abroad in Dublin and Florence, become a high school art teacher, and start a small art commissions business on the side. I can’t wait to see who we all become.

Congratulations to the BHS graduating class of 2022.
We earned it guys. <3

Here’s wishing you the bluest sky

And hoping something better comes tomorrow

Hoping all the verses rhyme

And the very best of choruses, too

Follow all the doubt and sadness

I know that better things are on the way

Here’s hoping all the days ahead

Won’t be as bitter as the ones behind you

Be an optimist instead

And somehow happiness will find you

Forget what happened yesterday

It’s really good to see you rocking out

And having fun

Living like you’ve just begun

Accept your life and what it brings

I hope tomorrow you’ll find better things

I know tomorrow you’ll find better things

Here’s wishing you the bluest sky

Hoping all the verses rhyme

And the very best of choruses, too

Follow all the doubt and sadness

I know you’ve got a lot of good things happening up ahead

The past is gone, it’s all been said

So here’s to what the future brings

— Better Things, The Kinks

View Comments (3)
Donate to Garnet & Gold Gazette
$476
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to Garnet & Gold Gazette
$476
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (3)

All Garnet & Gold Gazette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

Jerry SmithJun 7, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Well done and Good Luck!

Reply
  • M

Mrs. Lydia KowalskiJun 2, 2022 at 11:35 am

Best of luck with all your plans for the future to all the graduates.

Reply
  • P

Patsy DaviesMay 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm

Chloe, that was amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. Congratulations on your next journey ❤️

Reply
3