All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Get to Know Radiant Rusenko

Who wouldn't want to have Radiant Rusenko as their teacher?

December 15, 2021

Mrs. Rusenko (2008) two years into her Railroader journey

Mrs. Rusenko is BHS’ Virtual In-School, or VIS, mentor. FCPS hosts these virtual classes for different subjects, and a mentor is a staff member in the student’s home school who helps them navigate through the course. She is my mentor for one of my VIS classes, and as someone who has her during the day, she is one of the delightful teachers I have ever met!

Her first day as a teacher in BHS was in 2005, and she remembers exactly how she felt when she walked through those doors. She was very nervous—as one would be when first becoming a teacher. But more than nervousness, she felt excitement. It was a new chapter of her life, and being a Railroader was something she could not wait for!

Mrs. Rusenko was originally a teacher assistant. She would go around the school and help with different subjects. For example, if your class needed a substitute, she would be there! This 2021-22 school year is her first year as a VIS mentor. She feels that she has had an enjoyable time connecting with her students and having good moments in her classes so far this year. Her first school year as a VIS mentor has been nothing but pleasant so far.

Mrs. Rusenko went to the National Secretarial School in Hagerstown for education after high school. She majored in Paralegal Studies, in which students learn about the technical skills necessary to work in a legal team. It was truly enjoyable to her, she found everything she was learning about fascinating. She did not pursue it as a career, though, because as interesting as it was, it was too rigorous of a career for her.

Most teachers note having different experiences in their classes throughout the day, but Mrs. Rusenko says that there is no difference between her classes and she enjoys them all equally! Most of her blocks are calm, but one of them is definitely more active than the others. A good day for her is one that is calm: everyone succeeding in their academics and anything else in their lives. 

As Mrs. Rusenko gets to know her students, she discovers many things about the younger generations that often puzzle her. One trend, which most students and teachers have seen the effects of, also truly puzzled her when it was at its prime: the Devious Licks challenge that originated from TikTok. Another thing the youth like to do that Mrs. Rusenko does not understand is trying so hard to become a social media influencer.

Mrs. Rusenko really enjoys the Big Bang Theory, and could watch it over and over again! She also likes Pixar animated movies. One quote she lives by is: “Be responsible for your own actions.” If you ever plan on taking a VIS class here at BHS, you know you will have an amazing mentor who is truly here for your success!

The left side reads “#GoBigInBrunswick, Welcome to our BHS Digital Learning Lab! *Please area neat and & clean!*” The right side reads “A ship in port is safe, but this is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea & do new things! – Grace Hoppeer” (written in red),  “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work – Colin Powell” (written in blue), “Have confidence in your ability to do it right, and work hard to do the best possible job! -Walt Disney” (written in brown), “Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen -Conan O’Brien” (written in green), and “Virtual school Mrs. Rusenko or Mrs. R” (written in black).