Categories:

A New Trend In Literature: Censorship

Legislation Impacts Content Consumption
Brunswick High School's library that many students visit daily to check out books.
Brunswick High School’s library that many students visit daily to check out books.
Kylie Lancaster

Book censorship is on a dramatic rise in the United States. Since the beginning of 2023, the national book ban has increased 20% from 2022 — a record breaking number. In fact, this is the highest number of book challenges since the American Library Association (ALA) began compiling the data more than 20 years ago.

The ALA is one of the oldest library associations that promotes and protects all written content, from research to literature for Americans to stay informed, founded in 1876. In most recent reports, there have been 695 censorship attempts between January 1, 2023, and August 31, 2023. Maryland is responsible for 66 titles challenged to date, Virginia is challenging 356 titles, and Texas has the highest amount of titles challenged at 1,120.

Government officials challenge book titles that commonly include themes of sexual orientation, gender identity, and race. 

Many of the book titles listed contain similar themes that legislation deems unsuitable for adolescents to consume: such as LGBTQIA+ and sexually explicit content. 

Individuals in favor of restricting literature and banning books believe that topics within these books will sway children who read them, regarding this content as “potentially dangerous.” These themes are said to present premature ideas, raise abstract questions, and insight critical inquiries after consumption. However, individuals that oppose the bans of these controversial topics believe that exposure to this content will only urge children to have more free speech, expression, and thinking.

Mr. Philip Mowrer, current library director for the United States Pacific Air Forces in Tokyo, Japan, has worked at libraries around the world. He shares his experience with book censorship in countries such as Europe and Japan and he says that both countries do not have notable censorship. He noticed that Europeans tend to just ignore literature that they don’t want to consume. Mr. Mowrer believes that, “Censoring what people have access to goes against one of the principles of democracy, that citizens should have free access to information. There is nothing wrong with a parent deciding that a book is not right for their child, but that doesn’t mean that they have the right to then say that no child should be allowed to read that book.”

A window display at Frederick High School that Mrs. Garlitz created for her library. (Amy Garlitz)

This censorship has posed a great threat on what content will be available to read in school libraries. With that being said, Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS) has not seen any of these effects yet. Librarian from Frederick High School, Mrs. Amy Garlitz, says, “[FCPS libraries] are allowed to keep all the books on our shelves while they are under review from the book committee.” Through her advocacy, Mrs. Garlitz has even gone as far as to create a display of the top nationally challenged books, as well as books being challenged by FCPS in her library.

Whether you are for or against banning books, taking the information off of shelves in libraries limits adolescents’ ability to learn about real-world situations. Legislation has decided to limit literature, however issues still stand with all other modes of consumption. Until media such as film and social media are also throughly restricted from adolescents, they will still be exposed to the same content that is present in these banned books.