Plastic bags are banned in the City of Frederick as of January 1, 2024. Image created with Canva.
Kylie Lancaster

Say Goodbye To Plastic Bags

Plastic Bag Ban Beginning In 2024

To welcome the new year, Frederick, Maryland, has banned the distribution of plastic bags to better the environment. 

Kitchen drawer full of plastic grocery bags.

Annually, around 500 trillion plastic grocery bags are used worldwide. This plastic can take around 1,000 years to degrade in the landfill – however, plastic bags do not degrade completely. Instead, they are subject to photo-degradation where the degraded bags become microplastics and pollute the environment. 

The City of Frederick has recognized the impact plastic grocery bags have on the environment and have banned stores from using plastic bags beginning January 1, 2024. These efforts are being made in order to protect the health of Frederick residents and limit the plastic pollution created by the city. 

The following businesses will be affected by this ban: grocery and convenience stores, gas stations, hardware and home improvement stores, liquor stores, pharmacies, and general department stores.

What does this ban mean for Frederick residents? Well, the answer is simple: reusable bags. These bags are commonly cloth or any other durable material that consumers can use multiple times at stores. Customers are encouraged to bring their own reusable bag when shopping, however some businesses may have the option to purchase them before checkout. Some businesses across the city may also provide paper bags at checkout for consumers with no additional charge. 

As of right now, this plastic bag ban will only affect businesses in the City of Frederick – not the entirety of Frederick County. However, this could change in the foreseeable future. Other counties across Maryland, such as Montgomery and Howard county, have had county-wide plastic bag bans for years now. 

Many local businesses have already adapted numerous environmentally-friendly practices—such as eliminating styrofoam take aways, using paper or recycled plastic straws, and limiting to-go food waste. 

If you are looking for reusable bags to use from here on out, here are a few links and alternatives!

Be prepared while shopping by brining your own bag; some retailers may not give any other options.