Swift Breaks The Internet

…Ready For It?
Taylor Swift announces her brand new album The Tortured Poets Department at the Grammys this year. Image created with Canva.
Taylor Swift announces her brand new album “The Tortured Poets Department” at the Grammys this year. Image created with Canva.
Kylie Lancaster

The morning of Sunday, February 4, 2024, Taylor Swift fans noticed a huge change to Swift’s social media. 

Swift had changed her profile picture to her Midnights photo, but in black and white, on Instagram. It was heavily speculated that Swift would be announcing the re-release of her album, reputation. Taylor Swift released the album, reputation, in 2017 after she disappeared from the public eye. The album addressed the media scrutiny Swift faced before her hiatus. Before the awards, popular platforms, such as TikTok, were flooded with theories about this profile change – as well as hints she has been dropping since the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

Swift arrived at the Grammy’s wearing a beautiful white gown and long, black gloves. She was also wearing stunning jewelry and her classic red lipstick. The combination of this iconic look and a black and white profile picture, Swift fans knew she was about to drop something big. 

Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

However, before Swift even had the opportunity to drop her secret, she made Grammys history – being the only person to win “Album of the Year” four times in their career. Her earlier albums, Fearless, 1989, and folklore, previously won Swift this title. At the 2024 Grammys, her album Midnights, released on October 21, 2022, won her Album of the Year. 

I think that Taylor Swift announcing a completely new album was a shock to all…”

— Hayden Williams

After Swift accepted her thirteenth Grammy, Swift’s lucky number, she announced her brand new album — The Tortured Poets Department. Hayden Williams, a fan of Taylor Swift, was completely surprised by Swift’s announcement. He said, “I think that Taylor Swift announcing a completely new album was a shock to all. While I jokingly said, “Watch her announce something,” I was more than happy when that turned into a reality.” 

“The Tortured Poets Department” track list was released on February 5, 2024. Image created with Canva. (Kylie Lancaster)

The beautiful, unique album cover stormed the internet as fans heard about the album — which will be released on April 19, 2024. Swift also released the track list on February 5, and fans were ecstatic to see some of the titles.

Avery Tipton, an avid Taylor Swift fan who attended the Eras Tour in June 2023, is so excited for the release of this album. She says, “I believe that Taylor’s new album, The Tortured Poets Department, is hopefully going to be a new breakup album in the synth-pop genre. I was so excited when I saw all of the new features and the intriguing titles of the songs!!!”