Jayrady Sok

Graduation Speech: 2024
Jayrady Soks senior portrait. Photo used with permission of Donna Tucker.
Jayrady Sok’s senior portrait. Photo used with permission of Donna Tucker.
Donna Tucker

Good morning class of 2024.

It’s hard to believe that 4 years ago in March, all of us were looking forward to 2 weeks off from middle school thanks to a then up and coming disease we’ve become all too familiar with. But look at us now. Those 2 weeks have long come and gone, and in the blink of an eye, we are now on the precipices of our adult lives. 

Freshman year online, full of moments of questionable academic integrity and among us, has fortunately become a distant memory. Sophomore year, for many of us, the first real introduction to the beautiful building which we call Brunswick High School and driving not far behind it. Junior year, a chaotic mess of college-level classes, jobs, the SAT, and prom, followed closely, and combined with last semester’s hectic college application season, it’s clear that we’ve endured four years of unique adversity but four years of growth.

I know it’s cliche, but high school graduation, this moment, marks the beginning of the crossroads for our futures. Here, we’re presented with the first real opportunity to be anyone or do anything we want (as long as it’s legal). But before you all embark on your journeys to become the president, hoard disgusting amounts of money, or take over the tech industry [point to myself], I’d like to leave you with a final message.

The world is cruel.

I’m not going to get into the nitty gritty of it all because I’m sure you’ve seen plenty about poor mental health, hypercompetition, brain rot content, and exploding costs running rampant. I don’t know about you but seeing reels of $3000 a month studio apartments in New York City is pretty harrowing. All of this against a backdrop of unceasing war and political divisiveness paints a daunting picture.

But if there’s one piece of advice I could give you all on how to deal with this quite frankly, poorly dealt hand, it would be to be delusional. 

Obviously, I’m not telling all of you to exercise poor judgment, ignore facts outright, or think that gambling is a surefire ticket to riches. By “delusional” I mean just ballsy enough to look at the dumpster fire of problems in our society and say, “I can fix that.” By “delusional” I mean ignoring the flames when you jump into said dumpster fire. By “delusional” I mean becoming your own agent of change in spite of any limitation imposed on you by anyone.

I’m sure that all of you expected this rant about changing the world, but before you go off and do so, I’d also like to mention something as equally important. 

In today’s age, it’s easier than ever to lose yourself. Whether social status, job opportunities, or outlets to change the world, goals that you are pursuing now with good intentions may warp you into a worse person in the future. There will be moments where we forsake our beliefs for promotions, money, or some other sort of gain. And as these compromises build up, we may find ourselves more comfortable with conflict and mediocrity than we’d like.

But this doesn’t have to be the case.

I know this is easier said than done, but never let a hostile environment shape you into a hostile person. Never compromise your principles for opportunity. Never forget the railroader inside you, no matter how corny that may sound. 

Always remember who you are and what you stand for. Always reflect on and bask in your individualism. Always change yourself on your own terms for it is what drives genuine change in others and in society. After all, what is a better world without better people?

Be delusional enough to change the world. Be delusional enough to be yourself in spite of anything that happens. Be delusional enough to have your cake and eat it too.

During my four years at Brunswick High School, I’ve had the pleasure of working with dozens of diligent, passionate, and devoted people bound for success. And although I haven’t gotten the chance to meet them, I know that there are plenty more in this crowd. Regardless of who you are, I urge you all to think wishfully about the future – because if we’re all delusional, then those delusions can become a reality.

Thank you and congratulations to the Class of 2024.