All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Distinguished Sites Banner
The graduation speech is one of the most important parts of the ceremony! Read the speeches from students who auditioned! Photo created with Canva.
Seniors Signing Off!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • April 18, 2024
A compilation of a few athletes after signing their National Letter of Intent. Image created in Canva.
Class Of 2024: Signing Day
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 28, 2024
Teamwork was a crucial part of making the Poms Youth Dance Clinic the success that it was!
The Love For Dance Is Alive In Brunswick
Ava Stiglicz, Editor-in-Chief • March 26, 2024
Paige Trendell holds up a long, plastic bag strip that will be made into a yarn-ball, then crocheted into a mat.
Changing Lives One Bag At A Time!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 19, 2024

Volleyball Battling For Breast Cancer

Brunswick Volleyball’s Annual Dig Pink Game

Brunswick volleyball breaks boundaries of a mere sports team; it’s a tight-knit group of girls bound by friendship and a sense of family.

Despite facing challenging seasons, the team’s unwavering spirit perseveres; demonstrating their commitment to giving their all and celebrating even the smallest victories. On Tuesday, October 3, Brunswick’s volleyball program hosted their annual Dig Pink game — a poignant event dedicated to raising awareness for breast cancer.

The Dig Pink game isn’t just a match — it’s a town-wide event that unites the entire community. Every year, the volleyball team selects distinct themes for home their games. Dig Pink is easily their most significant one. Fundraising takes center stage during this event, with proceeds benefiting the Frederick county breast cancer ward. Many parents of players volunteered their time to sell tickets for a 50/50 raffle contributing to breast cancer research. Additionally, parents of players set up tables with baked goods and various items, all aimed at collecting funds for the cancer ward.

Sign advocating for head varsity volleyball coach, Michelle Sclater, who battled breast cancer. (Hayden Williams)

Coach Michelle Sclater, mother to number 17 on the team, addresses the deeply personal connection many have to this event. She is not only a breast cancer survivor, but she is also currently in remission. Her presence as a coach and survivor injects a profound sense of purpose into the event inspiring the girls to elevate their game beyond the ordinary. 

Number 17, Bailey Sclater, says, “My mom is a breast cancer survivor, but besides the fact I think it’s so much fun. I love decorating [for] this fundraiser and I think that it’s such a good night, and I love all the people that come out and support.”

These girls exemplify the definition of an unrelated family. Each year, the team comes together, putting aside all other distractions to shine a spotlight on a cause that holds global importance. Beyond their athletic abilities, they are a testament to the power of unity, determination, and their unwavering commitment to making a difference in the fight against breast cancer.

I am playing for my grandmother who battled breast cancer, and my aunt who is currently battling cancer.”

— Kayla Larco, Junior

Number 15, Kayla Larco, says she is not only plays with passion for her coach, but, “I am playing for my grandmother who battled breast cancer, and my aunt who is currently battling cancer.”

This game meant so much to each girl that stepped on the court on October 3. Thank you to everyone in our community who showed up to support breast cancer through our volleyball team.