The Spectacular Sheehan

“Be kind and compassionate to others and volunteer to help someone.” —John Sheehan

Mr. John Sheehan is an instructional aide at BHS.

Jay Follin

Mr. John Sheehan has been working at BHS for five years. He has been working in education for six years. He went to college at Prince George Community College, then went to Washington Adventists University to get a business degree, and eventually to George Washington University for his masters degree. He went into teaching because his main goal after he retired was to help people—teaching fit the bill just right.

He wants to help students graduate and do their best. The way he does that is not judging students. He doesn’t know what every student’s home situation is so he helps them the best he can when they’re in school. In his opinion, the hardest part of teaching is sometimes getting the students motivated to do their work.

His favorite thing to do in his free time is spending time with his grandchildren and going for car rides with his wife.
Before he came to Brunswick High School he was a pioneer in the early computers for 31 years for Verizon. He worked with high-speed computers and high-speed data communication computers. His last assignment for Verizon was rebuilding communications in New York after 9/11.

A fun fact about Mr. Sheehan is he went to the original Woodstock in 1969. He was “a little of a hippie” and was against the war in Vietnam.

The person that inspires him the most is Martin Luther King, Jr. because of the difference Dr. King made in the world with his speeches. His mentor is his best friend from age 16. He was the one person that he could go to if he had any problem or issue. Unfortunately, his friend passed away five years ago from cancer.

“If you can’t fly then run if you can’t run then walk if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” —Martin Luther King

Mr. Sheehan and his wife lived in North Carolina for a few years. While he was at a grocery store a total stranger came up to him because he was wearing a Marine Corps sweatshirt, from when his son graduated from the Marine Corps. The man told him that his son had died in Fallujah, Iraq. He also told him to do three things:

1. Tell your son that you’re proud of his service to his country.
2. Tell him you love him.
3. Don’t hold any grudges between you and him.

If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.

— Mark Twain