A Last Letter From The Editor

Ava Stiglicz—Editor-in-Chief Emeritus 2024
Ava Stiglicz on her senior night for Brunswick High Schools Pom and Dance team.
Ava Stiglicz on her senior night for Brunswick High School’s Pom and Dance team.
Kylie Lancaster

I have been a journalism student at Brunswick High School since my sophomore year. I joined the class with interest in getting more involved in my school. Little did I know how this program would change my high school life and future. When I joined journalism, our online newspaper was merely an idea. With an eleven person staff, the Garnet and Gold Gazette truly started from nothing. I quickly became very involved and earned the title editor-in-chief. I spent most of my time focusing on the social media and advertisement aspects. I worked on new ways to expand our Instagram following, started a TikTok account, and created effective ways to advertise articles.

Our small journalism program quickly expanded, even with such a small staff. Soon our program discovered the Student Newspaper Online (SNO) Awards. It became a goal for our small program to become a SNO Distinguished Site. As the second semester of my senior year came around we had only won two of the six SNO awards needed and now only had a two person staff in Journalism IV. Though, we were determined to still obtain this award. With hard work, sleepless nights, and many weekends devoted to journalism, we earned all six awards naming the Garnet and Gold Gazette in six months and became the thirtieth SNO Distinguished Site in the country.

Not only has this program affected my high school career, but it has influenced my college major. Before I took journalism I was clueless about what I wanted to do with my life, throwing around ideas like being a nurse or veterinarian. After taking this class, I quickly realized design and advertisement is what I am passionate about.

I will be continuing my education at the University of Kentucky (UK) as a Digital Marketing major, with a Graphic Design minor, and member of the Lewis Honors College. I plan to continue dancing as a member of UK’s club dance program. I’m the first person in my family to go to college, and I am truly excited to see what these next four years hold for me.

It is hard to put into writing how much journalism has impacted my life, let alone the impact my advisor, Lauren Graziano, has had on me. Her constant inspiration, mentorship, and appreciation she shows to our staff is the main reason for our success. I am grateful to be one of the first members of Brunswick High School’s Quill and Scroll Honor Society, Garnet and Gold Gazette editor-in-chief, and SNO Distinguished site winner.

My time with the BHS Gazette may be coming to an end but I will forever be an engineer.