Meet Ms. Stockman!

Get To Know Ms. Stockman, Our New Agriculture Teacher
Ms. Stockman sitting at her desk.
Ms. Stockman sitting at her desk.
Atley Shafer

Once a railroader, always a railroader. Alumni, Ms. Stockman, is Brunswick High School’s (BHS) new agriculture teacher. 

Stockman graduated from BHS in 2017 and she has returned to teach! This is her first year as a full-time teacher. Ms. Stockman is teaching horticulture one, small engines and power tech, advanced mechanics, pre-vet large animals, and engineering design applications. 

Ms. Stockman attended Mississippi State, receiving her bachelor’s degree in agriculture (AG) education in 2021 and her masters degree in agriculture and extension education in 2022. She discovered Mississippi State at a college fair while attending the National Future Farmers of America (FFA) Convention. She decided to attend because the out-of-state tuition at Mississippi State was the same as University of Maryland’s tuition and the agriculture program was more enticing.

When Stockman was in high school, Mr. Harrington, the previous ag teacher at Brunswick, encouraged her to become an AG teacher. She says, “I wanted to help shape students and help them learn about agriculture too, just like Mr. Harrington did with me.” She always knew she wanted to be an ag teacher. Although, she was torn between becoming a teacher or a veterinarian because of her love for plants and animals. While serving as the Maryland FFA reporter from 2017-2018, she decided that teaching was what she wanted to do and decided becoming an ag teacher would combine the best of both worlds.

I wanted to help shape students and help them learn about agriculture too, just like Mr. Harrington did with me.”

— Ms. Stockman

Besides teaching at BHS, Ms. Stockman worked at the Little Red Barn, Summers Farm, Mississippi State as a graduate research assistant, teaching biology labs at Mississippi State, Ceresville New Holland/Sheepmans Supply, and at Brunswick Middle School as a substitute teacher. 

Outside of school, Ms. Stockman loves to travel. She has been to South Africa and has traveled to 32 out of 50 states! Her goal is to travel to all 50 states before turning 50. Her favorite state she has traveled to is Maine. In addition, she likes hunting and fishing, working with cattle, and helping others. 

Ms. Stockman with her Brunswick FFA jacket. (Atley Shafer)

When Ms. Stockman was in high school, she was an active member in the Brunswick FFA chapter. The agriculture program pushed her outside her comfort zone and made her into the outgoing, people loving, energetic person she is today. She claims that FFA is more than cows and plows; it provides employment and leadership opportunities as well. She believes, “[FFA] made me become a better leader.”

FFA is more than cows and plows; it provides employment and leadership opportunities as well.”

— Ms. Stockman

When asked what advice she would give to high school students she said to, “join as many activities as you can” and “branch out and try new things.”. She also encourages moving away from home, whether for college, a job, or something else, so you can experience the world and have a better appreciation for your hometown. 

Ms. Stockman said in 10 years she plans to continue teaching at Brunswick. She, “always knew [she] wanted to come back and teach here, it was [her] dream job.” 

Visit Ms. Stockman in room 602 and while you’re there check out her ducks: Moby Duck and Goose!