Celebratory Choices — How Dancers Rejoice

An Exclusive Breakdown With The 2024 Dancing With The Poms Winners
Dancing with the Poms top three scoring routines. Image Created on Canva by Ava Stiglicz. Photos by Anna Porcella.
Anna Porcella

After a competitive show, these dancers await the results. Each judge was to present a special award along with an overall first through third place. This “special judges award” is intended to allow judges to recognize any dance they saw all night – competitive or exhibition pieces. 

Judge’s Choice Winners
Patryk lifting Ava in their duet. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Patryk lifting Ava in their duet. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Principal Berry

First, Mr. Berry announced his special award. He recognized Ava Stiglicz and Patryk McLane applauding them for being the first routine of the night and setting the bar so high. He complimented their energy and the improvement of athlete Patryk McLane as his dance ability and confidence had grown since the 2023 competition. Athlete Patryk said, "It was great to be recognized for my improvement. Compared to last year, everything was even better. Not was the turn out much better with soaring numbers, but the emotion I had myself was more relaxed and excited rather than nervous to dance in front of hundreds of people. All I can say is I definitely had fun this year with the whole event."

Taylor and Camdyn Fry performing a hip-hop duet. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Taylor and Camdyn Fry performing a hip-hop duet. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Jesse Duvall

Dancing with the Poms judge and Brunswick cheer coach, Jesse Duvall, recognized the exhibition duet performed by Taylor and Camdyn Fry. She thought this high energy hip-hop deserved an award with the perfect precision these dancers presented. It is clear these sisters were a crowd favorite!

Caitlin Kelly performing her solo. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Caitlin Kelly performing her solo. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Mayor Nathan Brown

Brunswick Mayor Nathan Brown awarded Caitlin Kelly’s exhibition solo. Unfortunately, before Caitlin’s solo some technical difficulties arose with lights and sound. Though after all difficulties were sorted out, Caitlin was able to return to the stage and shine in a beautiful solo choreographed by Roaderette Jenna Dick.

Izzy Zimmerman performing a contemporary solo. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Izzy Zimmerman performing a contemporary solo. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Kelly Volkert

Brunswick High School (BHS) teacher and past dancer, Kelly Volkert, presented Izzy Zimmerman’s solo with her special award. Volkert told interviewers, “I picked Izzy as my judge’s choice award because I really felt like the emotionality of the choreography connected to the music, and she really just sold the routine over all. And her costume was also very beautiful.”

Marlie Landon performing her senior solo.  Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Marlie Landon performing her senior solo. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Monique Aguirre

BHS instructional assistant Monique Aguirre awarded senior Marlie Landon’s solo with a judges award. Ms. Aguirre mentioned the beautiful choreography and powerful song, commenting on how moving she thought this dance was.

Michelle and Shawn performing their Latin style routine.  Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Michelle and Shawn performing their Latin style routine. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Jerry Smith

Brunswick football coach and teacher, Jerry Smith, gave special recognition to athlete Shawn Holt for “being the best male dancer”. Shawn and his partner Michelle performed a traditional Latin style ballroom routine. Mr. Smith wanted to shout out Shawn for executing such truly difficult and technical choreography.

It was then time for Mr. Tuomey to announce the top three highest scoring routines for Dancing with the Poms 2024

Your DWTP 2024 Champions…
Chanta and Ava before their costume change.  Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Chanta and Ava before their costume change. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Third Place

Poms dancer, Ava Young, and cheerleader, Chanta Naylor, took home the third place trophy for their upbeat jazz funk style routine. They started on stage dressed as grandmas dancing to the Golden Girls theme song, just to rip away their costumes revealing bright jerseys and finishing out the routine with intricate hip-hop style moves. This routine was surely one to remember.

Jenna and Eden performing a crowd favorite dance.  Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Jenna and Eden performing a crowd favorite dance. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
Second Place

Both second place and the coveted People's Choice Award was awarded to Poms Captain, Jenna Dick, and volleyball player, Eden Smallwood. This routine was so high energy and engaging. Their routine included songs by an array of infamous drag queens, fun props, and even some voguing. It is no doubt with the fun concept and dance ability of this duo that it would be a crowd favorite.

Izzy and Alana performing their first place routine.  Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.
Izzy and Alana performing their first place routine. Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella. (Anna Porcella)
First Place

Finally, your Dancing with the Poms first place trophy was awarded to Poms sophomore, Izzy Zimmerman, and Freshman cheerleader, Alana Price. Izzy says the key to their success was, "Cleaning the dance and working really hard to make sure every detail was taken care of so that we were both comfortable." These two performed a girl power inspired routine, it amazed the crowd to see athlete, Alana, nail this advanced choreography and keep up with skilled dancer, Izzy.  Poms member and DWTP winner Izzy Zimmerman says, "It was very exciting t be able to win such a big event, and it was an amazing experience I will never forget."