All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Distinguished Sites Banner
The graduation speech is one of the most important parts of the ceremony! Read the speeches from students who auditioned! Photo created with Canva.
Seniors Signing Off!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • April 18, 2024
A compilation of a few athletes after signing their National Letter of Intent. Image created in Canva.
Class Of 2024: Signing Day
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 28, 2024
Teamwork was a crucial part of making the Poms Youth Dance Clinic the success that it was!
The Love For Dance Is Alive In Brunswick
Ava Stiglicz, Editor-in-Chief • March 26, 2024
Paige Trendell holds up a long, plastic bag strip that will be made into a yarn-ball, then crocheted into a mat.
Changing Lives One Bag At A Time!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 19, 2024

Record Breaking Ticket Sales At Brunswick High School

Dancing With The Poms 2024 Was A Great Success

Without a doubt, the 2024 Dancing with the Poms (DWTP) competition was one to see!

Ava and Patryk kicking off the competition! Photo used with permission of Anna Porcella.

The show began sharply at 7:00 PM on Saturday, February 24th, with an amazing opening number, choreographed by Poms coach Brandy Fry, that featured all fifteen couples. Not only was every Poms member and contestant in the piece, but there were sections featuring all girl participants, just the boys, and some impressive partner tricks executed by the girl and boy duos.

The competition kicked off with senior pair, Ava Stiglicz and Patryk McLane, as they performed their football-themed routine. Wearing custom, pink Dancing with the Poms jerseys and danced to a mix of upbeat songs revolving around football. 

The show continued with more couples, each routine had such a competitive edge it was near impossible for the audience to even pick a favorite. 

Not only did this show feature these competitive dances but there were exhibition pieces from the poms members including solos, duets, and small groups of every style. This was a great way to showcase these dancer’s abilities outside of the typical pom work and hip-hop style dances the team does at school events. 

Taylor and Camdyn Fry performing their hip-hop duet, a crowd favorite. (Kylie Lancaster)

One exhibition piece featured sisters, and teammates Taylor and Camdyn Fry in an intricate, high energy hip-hop duet. 

When audience member Bailey Sclater was asked her favorite dance of the show she said, “Definitely the Fry sisters, I think they did the best by far.”

Right before intermission, there was a surprise in store for the audience, and judges. Each judge was called on stage for a Dancing with the Poms Judges dance off. Each judge went in front of the audience one by one to show off their best moves. The winner was determined by the audience’s applause volume.

While it was a close competition, Ms. Monique Aguirre took home the title of DWTP Judges Dance Off Champion. Ms. Aguirre spoke about the excitement of this win telling our interviewer, “I’m very excited, everyone screamed and cheered for me! I love dancing, That’s why we’re here, right? We all love to dance.”

After intermission the Mini Roaderettes debuted their dance with the BHS Roaderettes, choreographed by Junior captain Jenna Dick. The practices really paid off, they may be young but this group for sure “wowed” the audience. 

After a long show of competitive duets, it was hard to tell who could’ve won.

The show wrapped up with a self choreographed small group featuring the four poms captains. The dance told a story about how Poms has changed these dancers with senior captain, Ava Stiglicz, soon to graduate and end her Roaderette journey. 

After that powerful contemporary the whole cast came together one last time to close out Dancing with the Poms 2024. After such an astonishing show it is clear why this event had the highest ticket pre-sale in Brunswick High School history. This competition took so many dancers and athletes out of their comfort zone, allowing opportunities they would’ve never anticipated.

Click here to see the DWTP 2024 winners and judge’s favorite routines!