All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Distinguished Sites Banner
The graduation speech is one of the most important parts of the ceremony! Read the speeches from students who auditioned! Photo created with Canva.
Seniors Signing Off!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • April 18, 2024
A compilation of a few athletes after signing their National Letter of Intent. Image created in Canva.
Class Of 2024: Signing Day
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 28, 2024
Teamwork was a crucial part of making the Poms Youth Dance Clinic the success that it was!
The Love For Dance Is Alive In Brunswick
Ava Stiglicz, Editor-in-Chief • March 26, 2024
Paige Trendell holds up a long, plastic bag strip that will be made into a yarn-ball, then crocheted into a mat.
Changing Lives One Bag At A Time!
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief • March 19, 2024

Brunswick’s First Dance Competition Is Back!

Dancing With The Poms Returns, Tomorrow!
Ava Stiglicz
Dancing with the Poms is an annual Brunswick event! Image created with Canva by Ava Stiglicz

As the Dancing with the Poms (DWTP) competition date quickly approaches many teams anxiously await to hit the stage. Not only has each team been working on their own to create competitive dances, with original choreography, detailed costumes, and entertaining music mixes—but all teams must be in an opening and closing number. These dedicated athletes and dancers have been coming to school at 6 AM to perfect these group dances. With the creative mind of Kelli Dick, the amazing choreography of Brandy Fry, and the dedication of Scott Tuomey this show is set to be a success for the second year in a row.

First runner up team from 2023, Phoebe Carpenter and Melissa Carboneau are returning to the DWTP stage for a second year. After placing so well last year and receiving such a positive reaction from the crowd, many wonder how they may try to beat it this year. Phoebe says, “As a returning group, we had so much fun last year putting on a performance together, and so that’s why I wanted to do it again with Melissa. We loved our dance in 2023, but we definitely have some special things in store for everyone this year! We’re excited to put on another exciting performance that is one to remember.”

Poms advisor and Brunswick High School (BHS) science teacher, Scott Tuomey, says, “I believe the success of DWTPs is a result of an evolving and growing Brunswick High School feeder community. The demographics and population changes have outpaced the fine arts offerings at Brunswick High School, where a dance program has never existed. We’ve always had a solid theater and visual arts programs, but no dedicated dance program.” 

Tomorrow is show day and it is not too late to get your tickets!

Be there tomorrow February 24 at 7 PM in the BHS auditorium. 

Tickets are $5 for students and seniors, and $10 for adults. 

Purchase them online or at the door when you arrive.

When asked about his excitement for this year’s show, Tuomey said, “I am most excited this year about the number of participants and the variety of talented athletes that have teamed up with 15 of the 25 Roaderettes competing in the show. Unlike last year, when we had only one male athlete, this year’s slate of dancers include five males. They are often crowd pleasers!  Additionally, there are more athletes involved this year from new sports not represented last year. The buzz in the community about the show makes me think this could be a sell-out year!”

Come watch this show and even contribute to the judging by voting your favorite team for the “People’s Choice Award!” Each team will be listed on a ballot, $1 is equal to one vote. The team with the most money donated by the end of the show wins!

“It was awesome winning “People’s Choice Award.” We both wanted our dance to be engaging to watch and memorable to the crowd. So winning this award makes us feel like we accomplished this goal. Thank you to everyone who voted!!”Phoebe Carpenter (People’s Choice winner, 2023)

At the end of the show the votes will be counted up resulting in the team with the most money, or “votes”, taking home this coveted award! 

This event will not disappoint with exhibition pieces from many poms members including small group dances, solos, a dance by the upcoming “Mini Roaderettes,” and more. Not only does this event help support the developing Brunswick Poms team, but many other BHS clubs will be supported as well. 

The BHS “Mini Roaderettes” group has contributed to DWTP’s great success, “Born out of our poms dance troupe, the Roaderettes, the idea of spotlighting the talents of youth in our community via the DWTPs show developed. A testimony to the thirst of the community for more performing arts at BHS is the recent 36 hour registration of 100 K-7 youth for our Poms Youth Clinic, recently postponed to March 22, due to snow on the original date. Capacity was reached in 36 hours! There are presently 20 youth dancers on the waiting list!” says poms advisor, Scott Tuomey.

Pick up senior yard signs from 2024 BHS Safe and Sane. Purchase via Venmo or @bhssafeandsane2024 on Instagram, for your BHS 2024 seniors at this event.

Bring new bedding to donate to BHS Student Council helping Frederick’s Sleep in Heavenly Peace.

This event is sure to bring the community together and help boost the Roader community as a whole!