All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Elizabeth Bailey

Image+created+with+Canva.+
Kylie Lancaster
Image created with Canva.

What does being a part of the literary magazine The Creative Conductor mean to you?

I cannot truly describe what it means to me. It is a rare moment words escape me, but here, faced with this question, I have no answer. It doesn’t mean something to me that can be put into words, at least not eloquently. If I had to say something, I would chalk it up to meaning creative freedom—but those are not the words I mean to say, deep down. I guess I’m keeping it a mystery, then.

How has writing impacted you?

Writing has always impacted me in many ways—it has educated me, humbled me, and empowered me—sometimes all in the same sentence! It has given me chances, only because I decided to allow it to have an impact on me and form me into a more creative, eloquent person.

What advice do you have for upcoming creative writing students?

Don’t put it off. When you have something to do, do it; if you’ve got something to write, write it. The path to completion, no matter how short, takes time to travel—and it would be a shame to discover that the time needed is too much after you put it off for later. Having trouble? Start simple, ramble. Write out sentences, plot out ideas, maybe draw a character for what you are writing. Do something that will make actually writing and polishing the work easier—do something that allows it to cook and simmer into something you would be proud of.

Favorite high school memory? 

Someone came limping into theatre class two days in a row. The explanation: they slipped on a Snapple cap. Two. Days—In a row! It was funny, and they were fine.

What are your plans after high school?  

College, and finding a career that won’t disappoint those who know me. Hopefully I find it.