All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Baylin Hoffman

Image+created+with+Canva.+
Kylie Lancaster
Image created with Canva.

What does being on The Garnet & Gold Gazette staff mean to you?

It means everything. The G&G Gazette allowed me to experiment with new mediums and forms of storytelling I never really considered when I first entered high school. I learned more about the surprisingly rich history of our railroad community and the unique, strange little charms that come with it. I appreciate Brunswick way more than I used to.

How has being on the staff impacted you?

It gave me a purpose in Brunswick High School. I never really had an outlet for sharing personal projects and passions until I became a staff member of the Garnet & Gold Gazette and began tinkering with some of the first documentaries made for the platform. The Morning Announcements are cool and all, but I loved being able to share a more raw, unfiltered vision.

What advice do you have for upcoming journalism students?

Trust your gut. Writing isn’t binary and it isn’t a rigid pathway that’s already paved for you. Know your vision, know the purpose of your craft, trust that someone will get it, and trust yourself when you need to tighten a few screws along the way.

Favorite high school memory? 

Sharing some pizza with Mr. Berry in the media center was pretty sweet.

What are your plans after high school?  

Get into an arts college in a big city and study screenwriting. I want to be a staff writer on television dramas and comedies. If that becomes successful enough, I’ll branch out into directing my own scripts.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Kylie Lancaster
Kylie Lancaster, Editor-in-Chief
Kylie Lancaster is a senior at Brunswick High School and is editor-in-chief of the Garnet & Gold Gazette. Kylie has taken Journalism I-IV. She is also president of the Journalism Club as well as NEHS. She has been an important part of our website design and is a social media coordinator of our Instagram account: @bhsgazette.  After high school, she will be attending Hood College majoring in Mass Communications. Once she gets her Bachelor's degree, she plans to pursue her Master's degree in Journalism.