All Aboard Brunswick News Station - News Site of BHS

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Garnet & Gold Gazette

Influential Journalists Of The Modern Age

A Tribute To Black & African American Journalists
Eugene+Robinson%2C+Karen+Attiah%2C+Lester+Holt%2C+and+Yamiche+Alcindor+with+a+transparent+overlay.+Image+created+with+Canva.+
Kylie Lancaster
Eugene Robinson, Karen Attiah, Lester Holt, and Yamiche Alcindor with a transparent overlay. Image created with Canva.

As aspiring student journalists, it is important to recognize important individuals in the industry. Journalism is crucial for society to stay informed and creates a universal awareness among human beings. To honor top-level journalists as well as highlight the month of February as Black History Month, the Garnet & Gold Gazette would like to share some of our favorite Black & African American journalists. 

Eugene Robinson

Eugene Robinson is an American newspaper columnist as well as an editor for the Washington Post. Eugene is a very established writer throughout America, winning a Pulitzer Prize in 2009. He went on to be elected to the Pulitzer Prize board for 2011, 2017, and 2018. Through his career, Robinson has served as NBC news and MSNBC’s chief political analyst. Eugene currently works as a member of the National Association of Black Journalists sharing advice from his impactful career with other black journalist.

Karen Attiah

Karen Attiah, age 37, is a journalist for The Washington Post. She specifically focuses on international affairs, culture, and human rights issues. She joined The Post ten years ago after receiving her Bachelors at Northwestern in communications as well as her Masters at Columbia University in international affairs. Attiah won journalist of the year in 2019, as well as the George Polk Special Award and Harriet Beecher Stowe Freedom Writer Award that same year. She is also a member of the National Association of Black Journalists as of 2018. 

Lester Holt

Lester Holt is an American journalist and news anchor for NBC Nightly News. He has been named the number one newscast in America and the “most-trusted television news personality.” He has been reporting on television for the past four decades now — his most important reports have been that in Manchester, Brussels, and Paris about the terrorist attacks in Europe. He has also anchored in South Africa, Cairo, Hungary, and Cuba. He has received numerous honors as an anchor including multiple Emmys, Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism, TIME’s “100 Most Influential People,” and more. 

Yamiche Alcindor

Yamiche Alcindor has done a little bit of everything in the journalism world. After graduating from New York University with a master’s degree in broadcast news and filmmaking, Alcindor began her career as a reporter. She is a current contributor for PBS NewsHour, NBC, and MSNBC. In the past, she has also written for The New York Times as well as the USA Today. She specializes in covering politics and social issues — reporting extensively on the correlation between race and politics. Alcindor was honored in 2013 with the “Emerging Journalist of the Year” by the National Association of Black Journalists.